Pop-up truck campers are convenient and flexible, which provides practical camping approaches that excel over traditional RVs and tents. They can be used with a range of trucks and are easily detachable, which is an excellent option for those who want to use their truck for other purposes when they’re not camping.
Plus, their compact and lightweight design makes them easy to maneuver on rough terrain, making them ideal for those who love to explore remote areas or enjoy off-grid living.
These are much more affordable than traditional RVs, making them an excellent option for those on a budget. They offer a more solid and comfortable sleeping space than tents and small kitchen and bathroom facilities, providing a more comfortable and convenient camping experience.
Here are our top 8 picks for pop-up truck campers available on the market.
- Palomino SS-1500
- Hellmark Nevada 8.5 Side Entry
- Four Wheel Campers: Hawk
- Phoenix Mini Max Truck Camper
- EarthCruiser GZL 400 Truck Camper
- Supertramp Campers Flagship LT
- Northstar TC-800
- Palomino Rouge EB
What Is A “Pop-Up Truck Camper”?
There are compact campers with a pop-up roof that goes into the bed of a pickup truck. Their pop-up roof provides an additional living area and better maneuverability on the road.
These campers come with basic amenities such as a kitchenette, sleeping area, and bathroom facilities. With a wide range of models available, there is a camper to fit most budgets and needs.
Who Makes The Best Pop-Up Campers For Trucks?
There are several companies and manufacturers that produce high-quality pop-up campers:
- Four Wheel Campers: This company specializes in lightweight, durable campers that are designed for off-road use. They offer a range of models to fit different truck sizes and have a reputation for quality construction and design.
- Northstar Campers: Northstar offers a range of pop-up truck bed campers that are designed to fit on mid-sized and full-sized pickup trucks. They are known for their attention to detail, quality materials, and innovative design features.
- Hallmark RV: Hallmark RV is a small, family-owned company that specializes in lightweight, high-quality pop-up campers for trucks. They offer a range of models that are designed for both on-road and off-road use.
- Phoenix Pop-Up They offer a range of pop-up campers that are designed to be lightweight and easy to set up. They are known for their attention to detail and customization options.
- Alaskan Campers: Alaskan Campers has been producing pop-up truck campers since the 1950s and is known for their quality construction and durability. Their campers are designed for all-season use and are highly customizable.
- BundutecUSA: This company offers lightweight, custom-built pop-up truck bed campers that are designed for off-road use. They offer a range of models and sizes, and their campers are known for their durability and innovative design features.
- AT Overland Equipment: AT Overland Equipment specializes in lightweight, rugged pop-up truck bed campers that are designed for serious off-road use. They offer a range of models that are highly customizable and known for their quality construction.
- Bahn Camper Works: Bahn Camper Works produces high-quality, customizable pop-up truck bed campers that are designed to fit on both mid-sized and full-sized pickup trucks. Their campers are known for their innovative features, attention to detail, and overall durability.
- Supertramp Campers: Supertramp Campers, an emerging brand, introduces Flagship LT, a top-notch 4-season popup truck camper. Boasting a sleek design and excellent quality, it provides a stylish and durable camping solution for all seasons.
Advantages Of A Pop-Up Truck Camper
Here are some of the advantages of pop-up campers for truck camping.
- Lightweight and Easy to Store: These are lighter and more compact than traditional RVs, making them easier to tow and store when not in use.
- Off-road Capability and Lower Profile: They can often handle off-road terrain and have a lower profile, making them ideal for exploring remote camping areas and maneuvering in tight spaces.
- Cost-effective and customizable: They are generally less expensive than larger RVs and can be customized to fit your specific needs and preferences, such as adding solar panels or air conditioning.
- Versatile and Easy Setup: These can be used for a variety of activities, including camping, tailgating, and hunting. They also have a quick and easy setup process, allowing you to spend more time enjoying your trip and less time dealing with setup and teardown.
- Greater Freedom and Compact Size: Compact campers provide the freedom to travel wherever they want without relying on hotels or rentals. Their compact size makes them a great option for solo travelers or couples who don’t need a lot of space.
Best Pop-up Truck Bed Campers Of 2023
Our dedicated team has done thorough research on the market and personally explored all of them to help you make the right decision.
1. Palomino SS-1500
Palomino SS-1500 is compatible with 1/2-ton, 8-foot pickup trucks, including the Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Toyota Tundra, Ram 1500, and GMC Sierra 1500
The 2023 Palomino Backpack SS-1500 Truck Camper is a lightweight and low-profile camper suitable for off-road adventurers or anyone looking for better fuel economy.
It is well-equipped with features such as a shower, toilet with foot flush, cooktop, sink, gas water heater, gas/electric refrigerator/freezer, MaxxAir power vent, tankless water heater, shades/blinds, air conditioner prep, interior LED lighting, outside shower, exterior battery charging port, ample storage, and power roof lift.
The camper is built with high-quality materials including a gloss Gel Coat Fiberglass Exterior, High-Density Block Foam Insulation, Alpha Super Flex Membrane Roof, and plywood substrate.
The Palomino BackPack SS-1500 Truck Camper is a great choice for those looking for a lightweight and well-equipped pop-up truck camper.
2. Hallmark Nevada 8.5 Side Entry
Hallmark Nevada 8.5 is compatible with full-sized half-ton pickup trucks including, Ford F-350, Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD, Ram 3500, GMC Sierra 3500HD, and Nissan Titan XD.
The Hallmark Nevada 8.5 is loaded with full amenities like a toilet with an inside shower, a kitchen with stove and sink, a queen-sized bed, a dinette and couch convertible into an extra sleeping area, and lots of storage space
The Super Manual lift system allows for easy raising and lowering of the roof. Customers are advised to be vigilant about how their flatbeds are mounted and are recommended to contact Hallmark for guidance.
The Nevada side-entry camper from Hallmark is built for one-ton full-size trucks, with wood framing and molded composite walls. It features a lowered front cabover nose and is optimized for a 36-inch deck height. This model comes with custom-made Tern Overland acrylic insulated windows and a Wildlands side-entry door. The 18-inch wide step system is provided by Torklift International’s GlowStep system.
The camper comes with 5 5-year structural warranty.
3. Four Wheel Campers – Hawk
Four Wheel Hawk is compatible with full-size truck beds ranging from 6.0′ to 6’7″ including Ford F-150, F-250, F-350, Toyota Tundra Double Cab, Nissan Titan XD, Dodge Ram 1500/2500/3500, and Chevy Silverado 1500/ 2500/ 3500 etc.
The Hawk Slide-In Camper Model is an aerodynamically designed camper that fits full-size truck beds ranging from 6.0′ to 6’7″. With a starting price of $16,695.00 for shell models and $25,625.00 for full camper models, it offers ultimate durability and is season-proofed.
The lightweight aluminum frame and low profile design of the camper reduce vehicle and driver strain while maximizing fuel efficiency. The one-piece, lightweight aluminum roof is waterproof, ensuring longevity.
Truck campers are carefully designed and installed to fit the bed of your truck, with the right height, width, and balance for a better look and ride. However, camper tie-downs are not available for the new 2019+ GMC 1500 trucks with the Carbon Pro composite/plastic truck bed.
4. Phoenix Mini Max Truck Camper
Phoenix Mini Max is compatible with short beds full-sized, and mid-sized trucks including Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Nissan Titan, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Ford 150, Ram 1500, and many more.
One of my personal favorites and highly rated by our research team, Phoenix Mini Max is a fully self-contained truck camper designed to fit either mid-size or full-size short-bed trucks.
It is constructed using a double-welded aluminum frame with aluminum gussets, foam board insulation, insulated floors and lower sidewalls, laminated inner and outer walls, and an all-aluminum and composite structure.
The camper features a 42-inch tall entry door and a standard 8-foot Carefree Freedom III side awning. The kitchen includes a solid surface material called Staron for the countertops, a combination of a two-burner and a sink. It also has a 1.9 cubic foot Dometic CRX 65 compressor refrigerator.
The Phoenix Mini Max camper uses Beetle Kill Pinewood in some of its builds, which not only helps prevent forest fires and sequester carbon but also results in a unique natural blue stain from the beetle infestation.
While the camper doesn’t have a ton of storage, the designers have made the most of every possible space, including the lift-up under-bed storage area and beautifully cut cabinetry in the kitchen.
The Thetford C402C cassette toilet on the driver’s side has a 4-gallon flush tank and a 5.1-gallon removable black tank/cassette and features an electric push-button flush. It also has a shower and a water heater.
The camper requires some creative thinking for storage solutions, but the overall design is compact and efficient. The camper can be built to match almost any pickup truck, and Phoenix can also match the payload requirement of a customer’s truck.
5. EarthCruiser GZL 400 Truck Camper
It’s for half-ton pickup trucks like the Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado, Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra.
One of the most versatile and compact popup truck camper, the EarthCruiser GZL 400 has everything you need for a long or short camping The.
The GCL attaches directly to the chassis of the truck through a patent rail system.
It is equipped with a standard queen-size bed, an A2 burner stove top, a 1.5-cubic-foot refrigerator, a microwave oven, a water purifier, a sink, and a dinette area with a foldable table. An optional cassette toilet is available with a 9-gall grey water tank to collect the drainage.
As well as a 22-gallon freshwater tank and a 2.6-gallon water heater, it has two 100-watt solar panels that feed into a battery to provide power to the camp.
With the top extended, you get about 8 feet of clearance.
6. Supertramp Campers Flagship LT
Compatible with Ford F-150, Ram 1500, Chevy Silverado 1500, Ram 1500, GMC Sierra 1500, Nissan Titan, and Toyota Tundra.
The camper is customizable and fits most full-size trucks, including the Ford F150. Fits on most full-sized Pick-Up Trucks Bed 6’6. It features a 10 seconds powerlift of pop-up roof with just a button touch.
It offers a spacious interior that includes a queen-sized bed, an L-shaped couch with storage, and a bunk bed. It has its own solar panels, batteries, and water tanks and has a low-profile design.
The kitchenette features a deep sink, a two-burner propane stove, and a bamboo countertop. The camper also includes a cassette toilet and internal shower, backlit fans, and a 65-liter Isotherm fridge.
It has a sturdy construction and is designed for full-time use and off-road adventures.
7. Northstar TC-800
Northstar TC800 is compatible with Ram 2500, Ram 3500, GMC Sierra 1500, Ford 150, Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD, Ford Ranger, Nissan Titan, and many more.
The Northstar TC800 is considered to have exceptional features and quality craftsmanship.
It offers a spacious interior with a front queen bed, a U-shaped dinette, and a Dometic refrigerator.
The camper is compatible with both long and short-bed trucks, and the reinforced frame, galvanized steel corners, and 5/8″ underlayment floor make it durable and long-lasting.
The TC800 also comes with an auto-ignition furnace, digital thermostat, and forced Sub Zero package option for extreme weather camping. The exterior USB port and fiberglass siding with graphics add convenience and style.
Northstar is dedicated to customer satisfaction, and continuously improving their designs based on feedback. I am going to rate it high among other campers because of its highest resale value.
Overall, the Northstar TC800 offers an impressive combination of comfort, durability, and functionality.
8. Palomino Rouge EB
Palomino Rogue EB-1 is good for short-bed trucks including Chevrolet Silverado, Ford F-150, GMC Sierra 1500, Toyota Tundra, Nissan Titan, etc
The Rogue EB-2 is for mid-size trucks like the Ford Ranger, Chevrolet Colorado, GMC Canyon, Nissan Frontier, Honda Ridgeline, etc.
Palomino RV launched its Rogue EB-1 and EB-2 truck campers, which depart from its traditional pop-up models.
The hinged and cantilevered roof creates a surprisingly open interior with pop-up soft-wall windows. The Rogue design is targeted at the overland market, which prioritizes low weight, small size, overall durability, and reliable function.
Palomino also targeted the entry-level market, offering a touch of fun and attitude for younger buyers who need something lighter and more affordable. The Rogue EB-2 is for mid-size trucks and weighs 1,224 pounds with an MSRP of $11,620.
Palomino Rogue EB-1 is for short bed trucks with 6’11” interior length, 7’8″ height, 1383 lbs dry weight, 16-gallon fresh tank, one battery, and $12,249 MSRP.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a pop-up truck camper, based on your specific needs and requirements.
1. Truck size and weight capacity: Your truck’s size and weight capacity will determine the size and weight of the camper you can safely carry. Make sure to check your truck’s specifications and match them to the camper you are considering. The large-sized truck bed is fit for all-sized campers.
2. Sleeping capacity: They come in various sizes and sleeping capacities. Consider how many people you need to accommodate and choose a camper with an appropriate number of beds.
3. Amenities: Decide what amenities are important to you. Do you need kitchenettes or bathroom facilities? Are you looking for a camper with air conditioning or heating? Make a list of your must-haves and use that to guide your decision-making process.
4. Storage: Look for a camper with enough storage space for your needs. Consider how much gear you need to bring along and make sure the camper has enough room to store it all.
5. Price: Pop-up truck bed campers can range from a few thousand dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. Set a budget and look for campers that fit within it.
6. Check for compatibility: Make sure the camper you are considering is compatible with your specific truck model and year. Check with the manufacturer or a reputable dealer to ensure compatibility.
7. Seasonality: The most important factor, in my opinion, is to always check for the seasonality of a pop-up truck camper. Many of them are designed for moderate weather. If you are camping in extremely hot and cold conditions, you should go for a highly insulated or hard-sided one.
We have already provided you with the list of best popup truck campers in light of these factors to help you make the right decision
What Type Of Pick-Up Truck Do You Need For Pop-Up Truck Camper?
The type of pickup truck you need will depend on the size and weight of the camper, as well as the payload capacity of the truck.
Generally, a full-size pickup truck with a long bed is recommended for larger pop-up truck campers, while mid-size trucks may be sufficient for smaller models. It’s important to check the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific camper to ensure that you have the appropriate truck and equipment for safe and effective towing.
In addition to the appropriate size of the truck, it’s important to consider factors such as the truck’s suspension, towing capacity, and braking system. Properly matching the truck and camper will ensure a comfortable and safe traveling experience.
The suspension of a truck refers to the system of springs, shocks, and other components that support the weight of the vehicle and provide a comfortable ride. When carrying a heavy load, such as a pop-up camper, it’s important to have a suspension system that can handle the extra weight and provide a smooth ride. A truck with a heavier-duty suspension will generally be better suited than a truck with a lighter-duty suspension.
The towing capacity of a truck refers to the maximum weight that the vehicle can safely tow. It’s important to choose a truck with a towing capacity that is appropriate for the weight of your camper. If the towing capacity of the truck is exceeded, it can lead to unsafe driving conditions and damage to the vehicle.
The braking system of a truck is crucial when towing a camper. The extra weight of the camper can make it more difficult to stop the vehicle, so it’s important to have a braking system that is designed to handle the added weight. A truck with a more robust braking system will be better suited for towing a camper than a truck with a less powerful system.
It’s also important to consult the manufacturer’s recommendations for your specific camper to ensure that you have the appropriate truck and equipment for safe and effective towing.